The official student news site of The Benjamin Middle School in North Palm Beach, FL

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

Better Safe Than Sorry

The American Family Survey of 2023 documents that 96% of parents said their children have at least one Social Media account. But, despite its appeal, it is important to heed the many dangers of digital communication.
Better Safe Than Sorry

Social Media. It’s a vast hub for sharing multimedia, connecting with friends, and, in turn, meeting new ones. Whether you’re looking for more convenient ways to communicate with others, advertise yourself, or just showcase special moments, there’s plenty of ways to use Social Media, be it for good or bad. Then again, some users do not have as innocent of intentions as those above. Between 2018 and 2022, the number of reported child sexual abuse material, or CSAM, cases doubled from what is was ere the pandemic. And, so far, the numbers have shown no signs of decrease. During the pandemic, while everyone was confined to their homes, the internet became not only an outlet for  distanced correspondence, but a foxhole for predators. Due to the limitations placed on leisure activities by the Pandemic, Social Media sites were met with an influx of active users, especially underage ones. Among the throngs of users looking for entertainment or COVID-19 related updates, many predators personated children in order to befriend them. The craftiest of these web predators tactfully inveigle children with gifts, money and, in the worst case scenario, blackmail. This is what led to the dramatic increase in CSAM cases, which still stands today. Last year, the number of sextortion cases exceeded 13,000, and CSAM reports over 30 million. So, how can we make an effort to prevent these attacks?

First comes the matter of recognizing perverse threats. As previously illustrated, predators use various methods of exploitation, and it’s difficult to distinguish between wholesome and malicious from behind a screen. However, it is important to acknowledge that it doesn’t always have to be a predator instigating. Teenagers are taught to be careful with what they post or send, and with good reason. Once something is uploaded to the internet, it cannot be reversed. Even if a picture is taken down, or a message is deleted, people can still screenshot such media. So, on the off chance that one is asked to send sensitive images, think first: Is this someone you know? Do you trust this person? And, most importantly, is this a good idea? Sending nudes to a malicious recipient can result in reputations being ruined, bullying, and even suicide. Furthermore, these images could also end up in the wrong hands of a predator and become bait for blackmail. Another way to avoid exploitation is being wary during online interaction. Oftentimes, predators camouflage in chat rooms or video games, blending in with the crowd. Disguising as personable teenagers with similar interests and hobbies, predators may easily form bonds with and gain the trust of unsuspecting minors. “Any application where there are communication abilities is a place where predators can groom,” said Alicia Kozak, a victim of cyber grooming, in a February interview with WPXI news, “They are going to be where kids feel safe and where kids congregate.” Back in 2002, 13-year-old Kozak (then Kozakiewicz) was lured out and abducted by a predator whom she’d met online. Kozak was held captive for four days, enduring the rape and abuse of her captor until she was rescued. Kozak’s case is one of many, but each one had a lifelong impact on their sufferer. This goes to show that attacks like these really can happen, no matter how careful one is online. Be mindful of who you interact with online, and if you ever find yourself interacting with someone you don’t know offline, heed the dangers of that relationship and restrain from oversharing. After all, you nevr know who may be lurking behind the screen.

Today, Kozak and other victims share their stories in an effort to prevent the younger generation from suffering similar attacks. With the extensivity of the internet, especially social media, it is essential to stay safe and secure. You never know what can happen, and it’s better to be safe than sorry.

If you or someone you know is a victim of sextortion or grooming, please alert the following contacts immediately:

1-877-4-HSI-TIP – Homeland Security investigation number

CyberTipline     – Child sexual abuse tip line