The official student news site of The Benjamin Middle School in North Palm Beach, FL

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

Dear 6th Grade Me…

Middle school, or, more specifically, 6th grade. It’s a big transition, socially and academically, from 5th to 6th grade. There are new people to meet, schedules to memorize, and the increased bulk of homework to account for. But this gradation doesn’t have to be so daunting

With less than a month of the school year remaining, students and teachers alike are wrapping up units, preparing for finals, and gearing up to welcome in new students into the flock. Benjamin aims to introduce these students to the middle school community early on via various transitional programs. This is meant to cultivate a sense of familiarity in the rising class, with the new campus and with its students; to make the transition process less confusing. One such integrance took place a couple weeks ago when the 5th graders joined the current 6th graders for their morning classes and lunch. “The luncheon definitely helped me when I had it, and I hope it helped [the 5th graders] as well,” said 6th grader Hazel Payton. While this year’s programs aren’t exactly the same as last year’s, they still function analogously to not only inform students, but to build a sense of camaraderie between the grades. The luncheon allows 5th graders to connect with their soon-to-be peers, as well as ask questions. 5th graders also have the opportunity to pose any questions during advisory interaction with the Head of Middle School, Mr.Hagy, as well as during orientation at the beginning of the year. “No one knows the experience better than the people who just went through it. It’s someone [5th graders] can relate to, because [the current 6th graders] were in that same place just last year,” added Mrs.Barker. Albert Einstein dubbed experience to be the sole source of knowledge, and now older students have the chance to share their learnings with the ascending cohort.

Just 2 years ago, the 8th grade class was standing in your shoes. Likewise, the current 6th graders experienced this change 9 months ago, and 7th graders a mere year ago.”Sixth grade is fun because you get a lot more independence, a lot more new people, and it’s fun to make more friends,” said 6th grader Claire Melendy in a yearbook interview. As previously mentioned, peer-relationships are a great asset to have when it comes to navigating middle school, and students like Melendy are here to lend a helping hand. Two of Benjamin’s core values are kindness and acceptance, and the more students that come together, the farther this goal spreads and the more people feel included. “It’s a fun grade, you guys will definitely enjoy it. I’d definitely take it seriously, but make sure to have fun and cherish [6th grade] too,” recommends 8th grader Owen Hewitt. It is important to stay organized, but as Hewitt said, be sure to treasure your time on the middle school campus. After all, the years go by fast, especially if you’re doing things right. There’s plenty of new things to look forward to in middle school, be it classes, events or privileges. As Melendy touched on earlier, students have a lot more independence in these triad grades. The classrooms are farther away from each other and the homework is more difficult, among other things. Many students recommend making use of the provided binders and planners to stay tidy. Not only does this help one to keep track of assignments and due dates, but it also teaches essential life skills through the application of basic, albeit very useful, executive functions. These responsibilities also benefit middle schoolers by building a sense of self-reliance in them. However, it’s never a bad thing to ask for help, and your teachers and peers will always be there for you when you need them. 

Keep these lessons in mind as you prepare to enter the middle school, for they will prove profitable. Though remember that the most important thing is to have fun and be yourself. “Don’t get too nervous about what’s going to happen in the future, just stay close to your friends and focus on the present,” commented 7th grader Kevin Pinder. So, without further ado: Welcome to the Benjamin Middle School, Class of 2031! Everyone awaits your arrival with bated breath!