The official student news site of The Benjamin Middle School in North Palm Beach, FL

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

2024 Presidential Election

In ten months, the presidential election will take place in the United States. This election is one of the most exciting in recent times
President Biden looks to remain as president

So far, it appears that multi-billionaire Donald Trump will be nominated for the Republican Party. Behind him is former Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley. Recently, entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy dropped out of the race but is still in the running for Trump’s vice president candidate. Governor Ron Desantis has recently dropped out. Both are endorsing Trump.  

Trump is looking to re-install his border policies if he gets elected. He also is hoping to end the flow of arms to Ukraine, which is still currently fighting against Russia. He is looking to crack down on cities with high levels of homelessness, such as San Francisco, California. Trump has faced controversy regarding his past with the riot that occurred on January 6

The former president looks to regain control of the government

, 2021.

Joe Biden appears to be the candidate for the Democratic Party. He has halted Trump’s plans for the Southern Border. He also pulled out of Afghanistan, which although necessary, led to the Taliban taking over the country. Biden has increased the flow of weapons to Ukraine which has been a key reason why the country is still able to fight against the world power. The current president has also created bills to pay off student loans. In a poll conducted by ABC News, only 33 percent of people approve of Biden. For reference, Trump had a 34 percent approval in his final months of presidency in 2021. He will likely run with his current vice president, Kamala Harris.

When asked about President Biden’s presidency, eighth-grader Sophia Lapter said, “I’m definitely not happy about it. However, I do believe that it is better than our previous presidency (Donald Trump).”

As for Trump’s running mate, the American Public does not know who it will be. However, Trump says that he has chosen his running mate.

Eighth-grader Beckett Yeary believes that the next president will be “Donald Trump because he’s been getting a lot of support, and the general population wasn’t necessarily happy with the way Joe Biden was conducting us.”

“If you’re not involved, you’re not doing your job as a citizen,” said Head of Middle School, Charles Hagy. Hagy encourages students to become involved in the election.

There are many different sides to the election, but the middle school is looking forward to the election.