The official student news site of The Benjamin Middle School in North Palm Beach, FL

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

NFL Playoff Preview

Football fans have been waiting for this part of the year since last February- the NFL playoffs. This year, the Neersyde is going to give our best takes, along with a few wildcards

San Francisco 49ers:
This is no surprise for most NFL fans. They are the #1 seed in the NFC, or the National Football Conference. They finished the year with a strong 13-4 record. They had many key players on their roster. The offense was led by M.V.P. candidate Brock Purdy, or “Mr. Irrelevant” (the last person taken in the draft), along with another M.V.P. candidate Christian McCaffrey, who rushed for 1,459 yards. The defense included star player Fred Warner, along with solid players surrounding him. The 49ers have +220 odds to win the Super Bowl, the best in the league. 

Sixth grader Greyson Jenkins believes that the 49ers will win “because of Brock Purdy.”

Lamar Jackson hopes to lead his team to a championship

Baltimore Ravens:

The Baltimore Ravens, by nobody’s surprise, is one of the top teams in the NFL. Being the number one seed in the AFC (American Football Conference), they have had an exceptional season with a record of 13-4. The Ravens have a one time MVP in Lamar Jackson, they are very strong in that position. Lamar Jackson has had yet another amazing season being the MVP favorite. With 3,600 passing yards and 821 rushing yards Jackson has taken the league by storm. Another very strong part of the Baltimore Ravens team is their defense. Their defense was ranked number one in scoring defense with only 16.5 points per game allowed and only 26 touchdowns. Having seven total Pro-Bowlers on this team, it would not be surprising if the Baltimore Ravens make the Superbowl.

Pittsburgh Steelers:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made history this season with a twenty-season-long non-losing record streak winning record. The last time the Steelers had a losing record was in 2003. Kenny Pickett – their quarterback- has had a disappointing season despite getting injured. He has had 2,070 passing yards with only six touchdowns and four interceptions. However, Steelers receiver, George Pickens, has been having an amazing year. He had 1,140 receiving yards which was top ten in the league. The strong part of the Pittsburgh Steelers is their defense. However, they have had a key injury that might affect their future. Star player T.J. Watt has suffered a tier 2 MCL sprain and he will miss their first playoff game.

Dallas Cowboys:

The Dallas Cowboys had an impressive record of 12-5, earning them the second seed in the NFC division. Their quarterback, Dak Prescott, had 4,516 passing yards. He had also thrown  36 touchdowns but has been sacked 39 times, the seventh most in the league. Solid running back Tony Pollard led the team with 1,005 rushing yards. One of the CeeDee Lamb. The Cowboys also have some injured players. Deuce Vaughn was injured during the season. The Cowboys will face the Green Bay Packers in the Wild Card Round.

Cowboy’s quarterback Dak Prescott is looking to lead his team to the Super Bowl

Eighth grader Michael Raso said, “I like the Cowboys. I think they are the best team in the NFL, and they will win the Super Bowl. They have a top quarterback and the best receiver in the league. The Cowboys will destroy the Packers in the first round and go on to easily win the Superbowl.”

Cleveland Browns:

The Browns have one of the more interesting rosters in the league. While they took a huge blow early in the season, losing elite running back Nick Chubb, this has not affected their success. Perhaps the most surprising player on the team is starting quarterback Joe Flacco. Flacco was a free agent for about half of the season until he was picked up by Cleveland. Since then, he won four out of the five games that he played. He was helped by wide receiver Amari Cooper, who gained 1,250 yards throughout the season. The defense is led by elite lineman Myles Garret, who racked up 14 sacks throughout the year. This team surely is an underdog in the playoffs. 

Houston Texans:

It is safe to say that the majority of fans did not expect the Texans to be in the situation that they are in right now. After going 3-13 last year, the Texans had a shocking record of 10-7, giving them the fourth seed. A notable player that comes to mind when you think of the Texans is C.J. Stroud, who was elite on the field, throwing for 4,108 passing yards. He threw 23 touchdowns but was sacked 38 times. C.J. Stroud had solid receivers and running backs throughout the season. His supporting cast included running back Devin Singletary, who rushed for 898 yards and four touchdowns. The Texans lost some players that haven’t returned yet. One of those players was Jimmy Ward who got injured while playing the Tennessee Titans. They will be playing the Cleveland Browns who have a record of 11-6. 

Buffalo Bills:

The Bills are one of the best teams in their league. They had a record of 13-3 last season, but have a record of 11-6 this season. The Bills just defeated the Dolphins, earning them the second seed in the AFC playoffs. The Bills quarterback, Josh Allen, was sacked 24 times throughout the season, but he threw for 29 touchdowns and 4,306 passing yards. Josh Allen has some key players. Their running back, James Cook, had 1,122 rushing yards. A key player throughout the season was receiver Stefon Diggs, who racked up 1,183 receiving yards. The Bills will face the Pittsburgh Steelers who are the seventh seed.

“I love the Bills and I think they are going to win the Super Bowl,” said seventh grader Aydan Elam. Elam’s brother, Kaiir, played for the Bills as a cornerback during the season. 

Predictions:

Wild Card:

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Buffalo Bills- Bills win 35-10

Miami Dolphins vs. Kansas City Chiefs- Dolphins win 24-14

Cleveland Browns vs. Houston Texans- Browns win 14-7

Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys- Cowboys win 42-24

Los Angeles Rams vs. Lions- Rams win 17-14

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Buccaneers win    28-14  

Divisional:

Baltimore Ravens vs. Miami Dolphins- Ravens win 35-14

Bills vs. Browns- Browns win 17-14

Rams vs. 49er’s- 49ers win  35-14

Cowboys vs. Buccaneers- Cowboys win 24-12

Conference Championship:

Browns vs. Ravens- Ravens win 27-6

Cowboys vs. 49ers- Cowboys win 23-21

Superbowl:

Ravens vs. Cowboys- Ravens win 38-24