The official student news site of The Benjamin Middle School in North Palm Beach, FL

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

College Playoffs

College football is back!
A NCAA referee is awaiting the start of a bowl game

These top four teams were voted into the playoffs and they are Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama. In addition, the 42 Bowl games are back and they have even more funny names this year, like the Dukes Mayo Bowl, Cure Bowl, Famous Toastery Bowl, Camellia Bowl, Quick Lane Bowl, and Taxact Texas Bowl. The Boca Raton Bowl is being played here in Boca Raton with USF and Syracuse. Some tickets depending on the bowl game this year are starting at a low of $14, like Barstool Sports Arizona Bowl.  

An intriguing matchup this year is the number 23 Liberty playing the number 8 Oregon. The undefeated Liberty Flaming Eagles and the team are led by a new becoming NFL star, Bo Nix is ready to face off for the Vrbo Fiesta Bowl trophy. Tickets to this year at the Vrbo Fiesta Bowl are starting at 39 dollars apiece and that is starting at a very low price for one of a big bowl game. The other talk of the town is the undefeated Florida State Seminoles who are playing the Georgia Bulldogs in the Orange Bowl on December 30 at Hard Rock Stadium. This might be one of the most controversial games of college football with an undefeated, power five, winning conference team and a former number team who lost by three points in their conference championship game. The committee chose Alabama over Florida state because of Jordan Travis being hurt for the playoffs.

With College Football making this decision, we reached out to our football coach on his point of view on why and where it is heading “It is hard to tell with this NIL and the portal situation has changed the game and I think nobody truly knows where it is going.” Growth and family are what to take away from football at any level of playing, either in Middle school, High school, or college football. Mr. Coach Keller weighed in on what to take away from this mighty sport. “I think for the large majority of students and athletes who are playing the game, the biggest thing to take from any sport is how to live life, learning how to do life on give and take, being able to work with people who you disagree with, overcome problems, and to take those life skills and become the best person you can be anything to take away from the sport is a life-defining life skill”.

On January 1st, 2024 the teams will face off in the semifinals. The number 1 team Michangian with face 4 Alabama and the two and three teams will face each other, Washington and Texas. It is the road to the championship game in NRG Stadium in Houston Texas. This year’s selection process was conversational. On January 8 2024 the top two teams will face off in Houston Texas and a new champ will be crowned. The main question is what will happen to Florida state in the future.