Son of “A Land Remembered” Author Visits TBS

Charlie Spungin

Mr. Rick Smith conducts his presentation in the Barker Performing Arts Center on March 13.

On Wednesday, March 13, Rick Smith – the son of the late Patrick D. Smith, author of A Land Remembered –  talked to Middle School students in the Barker Performing Arts Center about his father’s book.

A Land Remembered is a best-selling novel written by the elder Smith, who passed away in 2014. Originally published in 1984, it is a historical fiction about Florida pioneers, covering 110 years of the MacIvey family, from 1858 to 1968.

Sixth graders have been reading this book for at least a few years now as part of their science curriculum.

“I think it is important for [sixth graders] to read the book because they can learn about what Florida was like before we came in and ripped up the land and developed the land before a lot of humans were here,” said sixth-grade science teacher Mrs. Mandy Sukhu.

In terms of Smith’s presentation, Sukhu “thought the speaker was great. He was interesting and tried to make it lively,” she said. Smith was engaging with the students, as he talked in a conversational tone about the book and everything about it, including his father’s experience writing the novel as well as the book’s themes and details. After he talked, he answered questions from the students who seemed to enjoy his visit.

Charlie Spungin
Mr. Smith speaks to a full house of middle school students in the BPAC.

“I thought it was really cool that the speaker was the original author’s son, and I thought he did a good job talking about the book,” said sixth grader Cade Crisafi.

Sukhu hopes the current sixth-graders, as well as past students, remember the book, and many of them certainly have.  

“It was a book about Florida’s past and history, and it was pretty cool,” said seventh-grade student Anthony Pace, who read it last year as a sixth grader.

Others, like seventh-grade student Alex Bories, remember it differently. Bories recalls the book being a downer where “everyone died at the end,” which is somewhat true. Many people die in the book because it covers 110 years of history. Still, A Land Remembered has become a staple of many classrooms across Florida, not only because of its accurate picture of what the region was like in the 19th century, but because it’s a well-written story that appeals to students.

“I enjoyed reading A Land Remembered because it really showed how people survived in the past, and what they did in order to survive,” said sixth grader Gracie Greaton.

“I did enjoy A Land Remembered because I thought that it was a very well done historical fiction novel, and it was entertaining,” said Crisafi.

Students also learned valuable lessons from reading the book.

“I learned that it is very important to put your family first in situations, and no matter what happens, it is important to help them out,” said Greaton.

After the special assembly, Smith signed students’ personal copies of A Land Remembered. He later posted the following on his Facebook page: “I was very impressed with the students at The Benjamin School. Thanks for inviting me.”

Hopefully, he will be able to visit again and share his passion for A Land Remembered with the students for years to come.