TBS Welcomes Back the Anti-Defamation League

Mr. Doug Cureton addresses the eighth grade in the BPAC on Wednesday, October 8.

Doug Cureton, a representative of the Anti-Defamation League, returned to The Benjamin School on Wednesday, October 8 to address the seventh and eighth-grade students. The sixth graders met with Mr. Cureton on October 15.

Mr. Cureton and other members of his team already visited the Middle School during the first week of classes back in August. However, due to a series of incidents that displayed insensitive behavior by some students, Mr. Hagy felt it was important to invite the ADL back.

“I am very concerned with establishing the best possible school culture in our Middle School,” said Mr. Hagy. “When there is a loving, compassionate school culture, kids achieve at a much better rate and they also begin to feel the good things that a sensitive community has to offer.”.

Eighth grader Hannah Foster leads her row as the students try to memorize the song and movements taught to them by Mr. Cureton.

Mr. Cureton had the students participate in a few simple but fun exercises to demonstrate how people sometimes speak without thinking. For example, he showed a series of numbers on the screen and asked the students to add them as a group, calling out the answers. Collectively, the group of students came up with the wrong answer. Mr. Cureton pointed out that not stopping to think, or analyze a situation, especially when there’s a crowd, sometimes prevents people from making good choices. He also talked about how insensitive remarks can hurt people’s feelings, even when they are spoken without the intent to hurt others’ feelings.

Mr. Cureton also had the students sing a song and then learn hand motions that went with it. At first, learning the song was the hardest part, but then when the hand motions were introduced, remembering the words and beat of the song weren’t so difficult. According to Mr. Cureton, it was an example of learning by practicing. The more you do something, like standing up for people, the easier it becomes.

To end the assembly, Mr. Cureton told a personal and poignant story about his need for a kidney transplant some years ago. Out of the blue he received a call from a former student of his who heard he needed a kidney transplant and volunteered to be his donor. When Mr. Cureton asked her why she was willing to do this for him, she simply said because he was kind to her when she was his student. “If there’s one thing I want to leave you with today,” remarked Mr. Cureton, “it’s to be kind.” You never know when you’ll be in need of help and someone you were nice to will be there for you.”

Many of the students enjoyed Mr. Cureton’s visit and the assembly. “I thought it was really cool and fun and informational,” said seventh grader Caroline Moody “I haven’t noticed [any bullying] but it is possible that there is bullying,” she added. Mr. Hagy wants the best for our school and feels strongly about students advocating and being kind to one another. Hopefully, there will not be a need to invite the ADL back to our Middle School this year and the students will learn and grow from this experience.