Is the Variety Show Too Long?

Mr. Crisafi

Eighth grader Chloe Habib gets ready backstage for the “Hamilton” number which featured middle school and upper school students.

Nobody would blame someone for falling asleep during a three-and-a-half hour movie, no matter how good it is, because for any man, woman, or child, sitting still for that long is a steep challenge. And while nobody questions the quality of Benjamin’s annual Variety Show with its cast of amazing dancers, singers, and actors who do an amazing job, many people had the same reaction after the School’s signature event on Saturday, January 14: it was just too long!

The afternoon show began at 1:30 p.m. and finished at 4:45, meaning it was more than three hours long. And it wasn’t just this year’s show either – the shows have been three hours or more for the past several years.

“I believe it was half an hour too long because it was really hard sitting backstage, and my parents said that it was rough sitting there for three hours,” said eighth-grade dancer Madeline Caruso.
Although many people were glad that they went, a show this long makes it hard to hold the audience’s attention. In addition, younger viewers get fidgety, and by the time the first show is over, the performers have barely enough time to do anything but prepare for the next show at 7:00 p.m.

Mr. Crisafi
Eighth grader Sydney Haselkorn applies makeup to a lower school student backstage prior to the evening performance.

“I stayed in my dance clothes, and then I went out to dinner and came back right away because there was really no time in between the two performances,” explained eighth-grade dancer Lexi Greene.

For the performers, many of them students, this is a lot to handle when combined with the rehearsal commitments and homework.

“What happened with me was that it was also my dad’s birthday on the Monday that we had no school, so that Sunday, I had to cram [all my homework] in,” said Greene. “It was just a little bit difficult [to get everything done].”

However, it wasn’t just the performers who felt the show was too long.

“I was with my mother, and I was with my daughter, so I did have to leave with them at intermission,” explained Middle School Academic Dean Dr. Tina James. “They were definitely enjoying it, but I was a little concerned that if we stayed for an equivalent half, it would have been too much for them.”

Still, James was extremely impressed with the Variety Show, and appreciated its expert direction and the wealth of talent on display by the TBS students.

“I think the show was absolutely incredible,” she said. “It defies what you would have expected from a secondary school. I cannot imagine another school, other than a performing [arts] school in Manhattan, that could put on such a successful performance. I loved the number with all the little kids, [and] I thought the dance number that featured a lot of the mothers and Ms. [Sara] Featherston and Mrs. [Piper] Crisafi was amazing. I [also] thought [freshmen] Summer Scott was absolutely incredible, and a true performer.”

Crisafi, who filled in as the middle school dance instructor due to Mrs. Rachel Rudner’s maternity leave, danced in the show and helped put together many of the middle school performances. She

Mr. Crisafi
Mrs. Crisafi gives some of the middle school dancers some final pointers backstage before they perform on Saturday evening.

feels opportunities such as the Variety Show provide students important life lessons that they can apply elsewhere.

“I encouraged my students to take what they have learned on the stage far beyond this performance, and apply it to every other area of life: building self-confidence as well as thinking about everyone beyond yourself, and noticing people in need of help or deserving of your gratitude.”

Despite being in charge of many of the acts, Crisafi was also able to observe and enjoy the show. “I was particularly inspired by [eighth grader] Alex Michelon’s trumpet solo at the beginning of the History of American Sports [number], but I was so proud of our middle school and lower school students in all nine acts that we were a part of.”

And, as time-consuming as it was for the performers, many of whom began rehearsing for the show in September, most of them enjoyed the thrill of performing onstage with their friends and classmates.

“The Prince number was [one of my favorites],” said Greene.”The dancers were really good, and I loved [being part of the show]!”