Winter Sports Awards Debut New Format

Photo taken by Mr. Crisafi

Sixth-grader Matthew Schepp receives his coaches’ award from Mr. Keller for the boys’ soccer “B” team.

Once again, sports awards were held on February 25, 2019., However, unlike during past assemblies, there was a new format this year. First of all, the awards were held in the morning instead of the afternoon. Second of all, Middle School Athletic Director Mr. Toby Harbeck spoke on behalf of the coaches, making the ceremony go much faster than previous sports award assemblies.

“We changed it because most students aren’t absent in the morning,” said Harbeck. With sports awards traditionally being held in the afternoon on Mondays Fridays, many students would see it as a chance to leave school early and were signed out by their parents. Also, the coaches would traditionally be able to say a thing or two about the team or season, or even about a particular athlete, but now the coaches of the teams typed everything they wanted to say and then Coach Harbeck read it. The only thing the coaches can present to the athletes are the awards. This will be the new format going forward, but many people enjoyed the new format

“I like this format of the sports awards better because it goes quicker and doesn’t get boring hearing the coaches speak for a long time,” said eighth-grader Colin Stangel.

For each and every sport at these award ceremonies, the athletes receive a certificate of participation. If it’s the first sport they have played in the middle school, they also receive a jacket letter (“B”) to commemorate their participation.

“I would like to make a hoodie and put this ‘B’ on it so I can show it off,” said sixth-grader Grant Donohue. In addition to the certificates and letters, awards are given for most valuable player, most improved player, and those players who are most coachable or consistently put in one hundred percent effort (coaches’ awards). “I look forward to the awards because I try my hardest all year in each sport I play to be the best on my team and to receive MVP,” said eighth-grader Nicole Nicklaus. A several-sport athlete, Nicklaus earned MVP honors for the volleyball and girls’ basketball teams this year.

Photo taken by Mr. Crisafi
Eighth grader Maddie Domnick thanks Mrs. Ponchock for the coaches’ award she received for playing girls’ soccer.

A handful of students in our Middle School also play varsity sports, whether it’s cross-country, softball, swim or track, and they are recognized at these sports awards assemblies.

Even with the new format, the sports awards allow student-athletes to get recognized for their hard work on the court or on the field, and parents of the award winners are also invited so they can experience their son or daughter receiving an award.
“Parents can still come and see their child win something,” said Harbeck. “Holding it in the morning just prevents kids from leaving, which is the whole point.”

Here is a list of the award winners from the February 25 assembly:

Girls’ Basketball
Coaches
Emile Dubiel
Chloe Fong

MVP
Nicole Nicklaus
Grace Tighe

Boys’ Soccer – B
Coaches
Andrew Moffitt
Matthew Schepp

Boys’ Soccer – A
Coaches
Luca Bolzano

Def. MVP
Alex Bories
Brendan Matz

Off. MVP
Luke Casper
Jonathan Skatoff

Dance
MIP
Gianna Demerski

MVP
Lexi Lower

Boys’ B-Ball 6th
Coaches
Cam Feiner
Caden Hayes
Jake Weinberg

MIP
Kian Interlandi

Boys’ B-Ball 7th
Coaches
Joey Tomassetti

MIP
Daelan Pinsky

MVP
Wilson Stewart

Boys’ B-Ball – 8th
Coaches
Henry Bennett
Nico Frezin
Carter Smith
Charlie Spungin

Girls’ Soccer
Coaches
Maddie Dominick
Grace Tighe

MVP
Bryce Weisser
Kaylee Wahl-Cox