The Neersyde

• May 13Eighth-Grade Moving Up Ceremony on Wed. Night

• May 13Leader-of-the-Week Luncheon on Wed.

• April 1Rest in Peace, Mr. Goldberg: 1952-2019

Filed under News, Sports

Dynasty: Girls’ Soccer Team Nabs Seventh Title in Nine Years

Back to Article
Back to Article

The girls' soccer team poses for a photo after its dominating 4-0 victory over St. Mark's on February 11 on Kennerly Field.

Mr. Crisafi

Mr. Crisafi

Mr. Crisafi

Sports fans are no stranger to modern dynasties like the New York Yankees, Los Angeles Lakers, and New England Patriots. Well, there’s another dynasty brewing at the middle school level here at TBS: the girls’ soccer team. Here in sunny Florida, the Bucs ended their undefeated season on February 11 by shutting out St. Mark’s 4-0 in the championship game on Kennerly Field. It was the team’s seventh title in nine years, and first since the squad lost its unprecedented six-year undefeated streak two years ago.

Mr. Crisafi
Sixth grader Emily Simon prepares to score her second goal of the match to give the Bucs’ a 4-0 lead in the championship game.

This year’s eighth-grade class lost “the streak” as sixth graders. Therefore, the fact that they led the team to an undefeated season and championship made it all the sweeter this time around. Head Coach Mrs. Denise Ponchock was very proud of her team, especially after coming up short the past two seasons.

“The team was tenacious,” said Ponchock. “When the girls won, I was really proud and happy for them. The eighth graders deserved this win after three years of hard work. We have a young team, and we are definitely going to miss our graduating eighth graders.”

Assistant Coach Mrs. Anne Franzen echoed Ponchock’s sentiments. “If I were to describe the team in one word, I would use ‘tenacity,’ especially for our eighth-grade students,” she said.

Many of the players also recognized the team’s tenacious, selfless style of play.

Mr. Crisafi
Eighth-grade captain Bryce Weisser pumps her fists after scoring early in the second half to give the Bucs a 2-0 advantage in the title match.

“Our streak is back and better than ever,” said eighth-grade captain Bryce Weisser. “I was so happy to be a part of the best team I could ever ask for. We worked as a team, never doubting one another. We were fighters and did not give up.”

Even the younger players understood the importance of this victory and a how much the team has grown this season.

I was very happy [when we won] because before we had tied against St. Mark’s [earlier in the season], and now we beat them 4-0,” said seventh grader Mimi Chandler. “I can see how much we have improved, working together from the start.”

For Weisser, the team’s MVP for three consecutive years, it was the perfect ending to a perfect season.

“I felt that being captain this year made it my responsibility to be a leader and guide our team to success with Grace [Tighe] and Hailey [Ende],” she said. “I was honored to get MVP for all three years. I made sure that I worked hard and put in the work to prove that I was worthy.”

In terms of the championship, each of the players proved they were worthy of the title. The Bucs are back on top, and another streak has begun.