The Neersyde

• November 11Week 1 Schedule This Week

• November 11Veterans Day Ceremony on Monday, Nov. 12

• November 11Sixth-Grade Heritage Day on Friday

Filed under News, Sports

Food, Football, and Fun at Homecoming Game

The Bucs' varsity football team run out onto the field prior to their Homecoming Game against John Carroll on October 5, 2018.

Emerson Ferry

Emerson Ferry

The homecoming game on October 5 was more than just another Friday night football contest – it was an event. There were games for students of all ages, such as the Wheel of Fortune and cornhole, and there were also food trucks offering everything from funnel cakes to hotdogs to shaved ice.

“I loved having the option of having different choices to choose from,” said seventh grader Emerson Ferry. “I love Dune Dog hotdogs and I got one from one of the food trucks. I also liked the Kona Ice. One of my friends, Claire Dinh, got a crepe.”

“There was very good food there, and the game was very fun to watch because it was so close [in the beginning],” said seventh-grader Logan Smith.

Yes, the game was good, at least for the Bucs as they crushed the John Carroll Rams 47-13, keeping their perfect season intact and pushing their record to 7-0.

“I thought the game was exciting because everyone was very excited about the amazing catch and plays,” said middle school science teacher Mrs. Mandy Suhku.

She was referring to senior wide receiver and cornerback Kaiir Elam and his impressive catch that was shared via ESPN’s social media.

Suhku was in so much shock that she was unsure if anyone else saw the catch. “It was amazing, and right when I saw it, I said, ‘Did anyone else see that amazing Odell Beckham-like catch? It was amazing because it was the best catch I had ever seen. ESPN must have agreed with me and put it on their Snapchat as the number one catch.”

“I think [Elam’s catch] was the spark to the comeback,” said Head of Middle School Mr. Charles Hagy, referring to the fact that the Rams jumped out to a 7-3 lead early in the game.

The stands were packed with members of the TBS community, and the upper and middle school students showed school spirit during the week leading up to the game by participating in themed days such as Pajama Day, Blue and Orange Day, and Team Jersey Day.

At halftime, the Homecoming Court for the dance, held the next day on October 6, was announced. The following students were named princes and princesses of their respective classes and were honored at mid-field: freshmen Zachary Loceff  and Ainsley Mitchell, sophomores Santino Marucci and Briley Crisafi, and juniors Alexander “Zander” Valentini and Wells Carr. The senior king and queen were also recognized: Andrew DeFerrari and Julia Palomba.

Although the dance did not have a theme, the gym in the Healy Family Athletic Complex was decorated according to the four class themes that competed during homecoming week: Flashback Freshmen, Sleepy Sophomores, Juvi Juniors, and Snow Day Seniors.

For the middle schoolers, Homecoming Week culminated with a lopsided win for the Bucs football team, the students were happy with their new fidget spinners after they spun the wheel at the News Channel 12 stand, and everyone enjoyed the food and camaraderie that Homecoming brings.