New Teacher Takes Over Veterans Day Ceremony

A day to reflect on those who have fought for our freedom.

Eighth grade history teacher Mr. Rudolph De Vries addresses the school with a speech about the importance of Veterans Day. (Mr. Crisafi)

Every year at TBS, the school takes a day to remember our nation’s fallen heroes. This year, new history teacher Mr. Rudolph DeVries helped plan and emcee the annual ceremony. 

“To be honest, I wouldn’t say that I spearheaded this ceremony on my own,” said DeVries. “I think it was a collaboration [led by] Mr. Hagy, who gave the overarching plan for what was going to happen. Myself and Mrs. Ferguson just kind of filled in as needed. Overall, it was a team effort.” 

This year’s event began with a simple but meaningful table created by a committee of students chosen by DeVries.

Eighth graders RJ Pierman and Treasure Stein play a duet of “Taps.” (Mr. Crisafi)

“We are going to start out with everybody taking a look at the Missing Man Table,” said DeVries. “The Missing Man Table is a symbolic table that is set to represent all of the fallen soldiers who won’t come home, whether they perished at war, [were] taken as prisoners of war, or just missing in action. The committee I put together [made] some signage to explain what everything on the table represents because everything has a meaning,” he said.

Eighth grader Chase Zur was one of these students on the committee. 

“I think the Missing Man Table is a great way to recognize and appreciate the brave men and women who fought for our country with courage,” she said. “The table symbolizes the emotions and feelings of those who did not come home from war. There is a white cloth, a red ribbon, a slice of lemon, a pinch of salt, a lighted candle, the Bible, and an empty chair. I am so happy that we get to really reflect and appreciate the heroic deeds of the veterans with the beautiful ceremony.” 

After that, History Department Chair Mrs. Chrissie Ferguson welcomed everybody and led them in the Pledge of Allegiance. Sixth grader Ava Shawe then sang “The Star-Spangled Banner,” followed by fifth graders reading “In Flanders Fields,” the famous poem written as a tribute to those who died in WWI. Student Council President Sage Ponchock and Student Council Secretary Mason Coles also read poems, while sixth grader Isabella Anthon read an original poem she wrote, titled Freedom

Sixth grader Isabella Anthon delivers her original poem “Freedom.” (Mr. Crisafi)

“There were a couple things that inspired me to write this poem,” said Anthon. “I had a relative who was in the Navy. It was my grandma’s father. I also just wanted to write something special for the Veterans Day ceremony to honor those people who fought for our country.”

DeVries then read the names of veterans, past and present, who are family members of current middle school students and faculty. He then introduced history and drama teacher, Mr. Bob Bayless, who was the day’s featured speaker. Bayless delivered a speech about his father who served as a United States Marine in both WWII and the Korean War. 

To close the ceremony, Chinese language teacher Mrs. Kimberly Latimer sang  “God Bless America,” and then eighth graders RJ Pierman and Treasure Stein collaborated on a duet of “Taps” on the xylophones.

The ceremony was meaningful for many of those in attendance. 

I think the ceremony was appropriately reverent because they gave every veteran the recognition they deserved, and did all of the other parts of the ceremony with great respect to our country,” said eighth grader Gavin Venoff. “My favorite part of the ceremony was Mr. Bayless’s speech. It was very touching, and I think it will be something that I will remember for a long time.” 

For some, the ceremony was an opportunity to honor family and friends who served our nation.

“Veterans Day is special for me because my grandpa served in the US Marine Corps, so we like to honor him every Veterans Day,” said seventh grader Nate Swank. 

“My uncle served in the Air Force during Vietnam, and my grandfather served in the Marines, so there is a personal connection in terms of my family serving,” said Devries. “I [also] have friends who have served in the military. Some of my friends have been to war and have come home, and you can see that it changes them. Putting your life on the line to defend your country can oftentimes put you in situations that are very heavy to carry with you for the rest of your life. Anyone who has put themselves in that situation, I have the utmost respect for.”