Gaming Continues to Be an Issue on Campus

Gaming is a huge phenomenon among students, and with the accessibility of technology at TBS, students have found ways to play during school. Without a teacher’s permission, this is a violation of Benjamin’s Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), and the administration has ways of finding out if students are gaming when they aren’t supposed to.

“It’s almost impossible to prevent gaming,” said Head of the Middle School Mr. Charles Hagy, but if we can tell if a kid is playing games during class. We can pull the student’s IP address and see what they have been doing, then they go to [Dean of Students] Mr. [Jeffrey] Cavallo.  

Even so, according to students, middle schoolers have been playing a variety of video games while on campus. 

“Recently people have been playing Among Us, Clash Royale, and Doodle Jump,” said seventh grader RJ Pierman. Students can access these games via either Google extensions or Bluestacks – an app users can get on their computers that allow them to play games that would only normally be available via apps on their phones or tablets. 

“Among Us” has become a popular online game for teens. (Photo courtesy of https://www.cnbc.com/.)

Some students believe gaming prevents middle schoolers from learning.  “Gaming can distract [students] from school and they may get distracted with games instead of studying,” said seventh grader Han Tang.  

For Cavallo, it’s also a moral issue. “When a student violates the AUP, it disrespects the sanctity of the class and teacher,” said Cavallo. 

Gaming can also affect the other students in the class. 

“When someone is playing a game in class, not only does it take away from the student playing the game, but also the rest of the students because then they are distracted,” said Pierman. 

However, some students think that gaming during school is okay, as long as it’s done outside of class. 

“I think it’s fine as long as it’s in between classes,” said seventh grader james Tepper. “However, it is distracting if played during class.” 

More and more teachers have noticed students gaming during the first semester. 

“We are reminding the students that there is a time and place for gaming and that is not during the school day,” said middle school Spanish teacher Mrs. Diana Rios. “Gaming during school hours is not good – it prevents students from using class time wisely and doing their tasks. ” 

As a result, during Monday morning assembly on October 26, Director of Digital Media Mr. Nicholas Crisafi reminded students that gaming without a teacher’s permission will earn them a green slip.

“I made it clear to my students from the very beginning [of the year] that they need my permission to open their laptops when they come into my classroom,” said Crisafi. “They know the rules, so if they are doing something without my permission, they will be written up. It should be the same for every teacher across the board so that we have consistency throughout the Middle School.”