Year in Review: Movies

Photo courtesy of https://www.starwars.com

Many middle school students can’t wait for the next chapter in the “Star Wars” saga, “The Last Jedi,” which opens December 15.

Since the year is almost over, it is time to look back at some of the TBS community’s favorite movies from 2017, and the ones people are still anticipating.

Photo courtesy of https://www.heyuguys.com
Was Ray Kroc (played by Michael Keaton) a visionary businessman or greedy thief? It’s up to the audience to decide in “The Founder.”

The  Founder directed by John Lee Hancock and starring Michael Keaton was one of my favorite movies this year,” said Introduction to Film/TV teacher Mr. Nicholas Crisafi.  “The film was well written and intriguing as it showed how Ray Kroc didn’t really found McDonald’s so much as steal it from the McDonald brothers.”  The Founder, which focuses on the origins of America’s favorite fast-food chain, McDonald’s,  tells the story of   struggling salesman Ray Kroc and how he meets Mac and Dick McDonald, two brothers who own a revolutionary burger shop in 1950s California. The film shows how Ray Kroc gets McDonalds into a position to be a multi-billion dollar empire. Hancock also directed The Rookie, Saving Mr. Banks, and the award-winning  The Blind Side. As Crisafi summed up, movies aren’t always about entertainment, but they can teach the audience new information they did not know.

For many middle school students, though, scary movies are always enjoyable to watch, and are definitely more interesting than what some of the faculty members may like. One of the most highly anticipated  horror movies that came out this year was It, directed by newcomer Andy Muschietti and starring Finn Wolfhard from the hit Netflix series Stranger Things.“ I loved the movie It because the it was scary and funny at the same time,” said sixth grader Sam Storch. “I also liked Pennywise the dancing clown – he was funny, silly, and scary.” Storch wasn’t the only one who liked the film as the popular film review site rottentomatoes.com, gave It  an 85% fresh (positive) rating. .

Another big film that hit theaters in the last month was Thor; Ragnarok, the latest chapter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Directed by another up-and-coming director, New Zealand’s Taika Waititi, the film is the third stand-alone movie for Thor, played by Chris Hemsworth.

“I loved Thor: Ragnarok,” said seventh grader Eden Doner.  “The movie is action packed, funny, and interesting. I would definitely say that this movie was a solid 10/10! ” Audiences agree, especially with Thor and the Hulk teaming up – there is no way this movie can disappoint  anyone who steps into a movie theater to see it.As of the writing of this article, Thor: Ragnarok has grossed $834,220,263 worldwide. That’s almost one billion dollars and it’s still going strong!

Photo courtesy of https://www.thesun.co.uk
Kevin Hart, Dwayne Johnson, Karen Gillan, and Jack Black star in the third installment of the Jumanji franchise which opens December 20.

Even though a lot of movies have come out this year, there are still more to come. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle will hit theaters on December 20 and  is a sequel to the original movie Jumanji which came out in 1995. Fans have been anticipating this movie for a while because of the creative story line and all-star cast. The movie is about four teenage kids who are sucked into a video game and take on the appearance and traits of the game’s fictional avatars. It stars Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Kevin Hart, and Jack Black. In the film, their only way to get back to reality  is to work together and use their new-found skills to beat the game.

However, maybe the most highly anticipated movie of December (and all of 2017) is Star Wars: The Last Jedi directed by Rian Johnson. It is the eighth chapter of the Star Wars saga and opens this week on December 15. Many Star Wars fans are anticipating this movie because of all the questions they have stemming from Episode VII: The Force Awakens: Will new baddie Kylo Ren finally fulfill his goal to conquer the galaxy, or will his emotions get in the way? Will Luke Skywalker survive? If so, will he turn to the dark side? Is he Rey’s father? How did Finn survive his lightsaber battle with Ren?

It’s unclear if all of these questions will be answered, but there are a lot of students who can’t wait to see it. “Star Wars is always great to watch, and this [film will] just add to the amazing story,” said seventh grader Brody Kretz. “It is like a whole new generation of Jedi. This series brings back so many memories [for me]. I am so excited for this movie!”

While it’s been a great year for movies, the year isn’t over yet. So if you haven’t had a chance to see some of the films mentioned above, take time over the holiday break to purchase or stream them. Or, better yet, visit your local theater and get ready for some awesome action films headed your way this week and next. May the Force be with you!