Middle School Elects New Student Council President

Left to right: Ella Pierman, Emeline Smith, Camilo Saiz, Mady Wilson, and Jessica Holland pose for photos in the Barker Performing Arts Center after their speeches.

The votes are in. After students in grades six, seven, and eight heard speeches on the morning of Monday, September 25 from Camilo Saiz and Emeline Smith – each of the candidates running for president – they voted by way of a Google Forms electronic ballot. Saiz, an eighth grader, won the majority of the votes and is the 2017-18 Student Council President.

Eighth grader Camilo Saiz delivers his speech to the student body.

In his speech, Saiz proposed that RAAP at the end of the day be an optional study hall and suggested that extended lunches feature a game room for students with ping pong and foosball. Smith, also an eighth grader, focused on her enthusiasm and spirit for TBS, and proposed a “Benjamin’s Got Talent” night which would take the place of BBC so friends and family could see the various student acts that are normally held during the school day.

Eighth grader Ella Pierman (vice president), seventh grader Mady Wilson (treasurer), and seventh grader Jessica Holland (secretary) also made speeches that morning detailing their official duties and excitement about serving as student council officers. However, all three of them ran unopposed, making the presidential seat the only one up for election.

Eighth grader Emeline Smith addresses the students during her speech.

Mrs. Anne Franzen and Mr. Nathan Ginnetty are in their first year as faculty advisors for Student Council, taking over for Mrs. Loretta Corey. Franzen and Ginnetty helped prepare the students for their speeches and coordinated with Integration Technology Specialist Mr. Nicholas Crisafi to distribute the electronic ballot.

However, the candidates had to wait until the end of the day to see who won as the results were published to The Neersyde in the afternoon.

Having to wait the entire day to find out the results was a nerve-wracking experience for the new student council president. “Yes, I did feel nervous throughout the day [because] you never know what can happen,” Saiz said. “I learned that I won the election as I walked out of Mrs. Hansen’s room, and I saw Matt [Roundtree’s]’s warm smile as he congratulated me.”

Now the real work begins for Saiz, but he’s happy to take on the responsibilities of president. “I feel very happy that I am going to be able to help the students to make this a great year,” he said. “My first plan for this year as student council president will be to work with the faculty and propose my ideas about having a study hall. This is my number one priority as I think it is an important thing.”

Eighth grader Jacob Steinger, who voted for Saiz, did so because he feels Saiz has his finger on the pulse of the student body. “I voted For Camilo because he knows the students and what the students want,” said Steinger. “I want Camilo to speak up for our beliefs, and to act as a role model for both the younger and older students in our community,” he said.

The Middle School and The Neersyde congratulate all of the students who ran for office and made speeches as they each represented well the Student Council and The Benjamin School.