BIG All-School Event a Success Despite Storms

Eighth grader Erik Bernhardt has fun brandishing a blow-up sword as fellow classmate Nico GRaziotto tries to defend himself and Tommy Rose looks on.

Despite Mother Nature’s best efforts, which included a hurricane and a tornado, nothing was able to stop TBS from hosting it’s BIG All-School Event on February 3, 2016.

The event was postponed two times. The first time was because of Hurricane Matthew as its potential destructive winds (which turned out to be mild as it stayed out on the water) caused school to close on Thursday, October 6 and Friday, October 7. The all-school event was scheduled for that Friday. The new date was moved to January 27, but a violent storm on Monday, January 23 produced a tornado that severely damaged parts of the Upper School Campus, namely the bleachers and light poles around the football field. As a result, the School had no choice but to move the venue to the Lower/Middle School Campus. That meant that the boys’ varsity basketball team played its first game at the Lower/Middle School gym since 1994 – the last time all three divisions were on the same campus. The Bucs kicked off the festivities on the night February 3, handling the Hawks of Seminole Ridge 89-74 in a game which they led from start to finish.

Will Randolph ’17 surveys the offense during the Bucs’ game against Seminole Ridge.

During and after the basketball contest, there were games, food and fun outside on Kennerly Field and the surrounding areas of campus. There was an oversized chair upon which guests could have their photos taken, tricycles for the younger students, a football throw stand that measured the speed of the participants’ throws, glow-in-the-dark bean bag tosses, a giant screen that projected Monsters, Inc. and Zootopia, delicious burgers and hot dogs donated by Cheney Brothers, Inc., and even snow cones served by Bahama Buck’s.

Despite the Bucs’ victory and all of the activities, some students weren’t excited about the festivities being held at the Lower/Middle School

Students wait for some shaved ice from the Bahama Buck’s stand.

Campus. “Since it was rescheduled for the Lower School, they couldn’t move everything over and it wasn’t as fun as when it’s usually at the high school,” said seventh-grader Casey Crawford. It’s true that there was going to be a student/faculty game of bubble soccer, but because of the move, the game had to be canceled. However, the cozier confines allowed people of all ages to gather on the field to enjoy fun, food, and games.

“I think TBS should switch off with the Upper School and hold the event [at the Lower/Middle School Campus] every other year,” said Technology Integration Coordinator Mr. Nicholas Crisafi. “Everything is less spread out which allows for more conversation and for parents to keep an eye on their kids,” he said.

Yet, for all the effort that went into the event, some of the older students found the event a little too tame.“My sister had lots of fun because she was with her friends and playing games for her age group, said seventh grader Liv Simon, “but I didn’t have lots of friends there and the games were kind of boring for me.”

Some students, though, enjoyed the festivities quite a bit. “I really liked the whole event,” said seventh grader Emeline Smith, “and the food was delicious! Even if it was just the food they had there, I would have been happy!” Maybe it’s true – the way to a middle schooler’s heart is through her stomach!