Briley Crisafi Elected Student Council President

Left to right: Treasurer Emeline Smith, presidential candidate Hudson Hale, President Briley Crisafi, Secretary Madeline Caruso, and Vice President Alexandra Kahn.

Treasurer Emeline Smith accepts a gift from Mrs. Corey after making her speech on September 19. All of the candidates received a small congratulatory gift from Corey for running for office.
Jakob Mendelsohn

In a close race, eighth-grade student Briley Crisafi edged fellow classmate Hudson Hale to become the 2016-17 Benjamin Middle School Student Council President. “I was very nervous because I knew that I was up against someone equally eligible, and [Hudson] is a leader and smart, and really well liked amongst his peers,” said Crisafi.

Prior to this morning’s election, which was conducted online via a Google Forms ballot, both candidates made speeches to the student body in the BPAC about what they wanted to accomplish as president. Crisafi talked about engendering more school spirit and lengthening every lunch period so students could use the extra time as a study hall or to meet with their clubs or teams. Hale advocated for the support of a sock drive to help those in need and also suggested ping pong and cornhole tournaments during extended lunches.

The students then voted via their individual laptops or computers during the first few minutes of their A-period classes. By the time A period was over, so was the election.

“I was really pleasantly surprised when I found out that I had won the election,” said Crisafi, “and I really look forward to serving this year. After my speech, people came up to me and told me that they were really excited for more time as a study hall, so I am definitely planning to stay true to my word and try as hard as possible to make that a possibility for our student body.”

In addition, the other offices who ran unopposed also made speeches about how they plan to contribute to Student Council this year: Vice President Alexandra Kahn (eighth grade), Treasurer Emeline Smith (seventh grade), and Secretary Madeline Caruso (eighth grade).

Organizing the speeches and election process was Student Council Advisor Mrs. Loretta Corey.