Student Council Produces Anti-Bullying Video

Mr. Crisafi

In this scene from the student council video, members encourage fellow students to be kind to one another and stop bullying.

With bullying seeming to be a constant and growing problem in schools, the Benjamin School has taken steps to face it head-on. In the Middle School, representatives from the Anti-Defamation League have spoken with students to offer training and strategies to deal with bullying, and the division invited Mr. John Halligan to share his tragic story with students. However, the administration knows that, despite these efforts, bullying won’t just disappear into thin air.

During the morning assembly on Monday, October 19, a short music video was shown which was created by the Middle School Student Council using Rachel Platten’s “Fight Song.” The message was a simple one: Bullying, especially verbal bullying, must stop and it can be done, one student at a time.

Bullying is a serious issue around our country, and we hope that our video conveyed the magnitude of this problem,” said Nicolas Lama, the student council president.

The student council also wants students to know that solidarity is the key, and that the Middle School needs more allies and less bystanders. ”We need to stand up and fight against [bullying] for ourselves and for each other,” said seventh-grade student council member Briley Crisafi.

The idea for the video came from Mrs. Loretta Corey, Benjamin’s summer institute director and student council advisor. “The video was my idea, but there’s no way we could’ve done it without Mr. [[Nicholas] Crisafi,” said Corey. “[The student council members] wereas at lunch [too] and they gave their time [to produce the video].”

Crisafi, the Middle School’s technology integration coordinator and film and television teacher, shot the video and then edited it together. While he took some time to perfect the project during the editing process, he was more than happy to help.

“I enjoyed doing it and was honored to be a part of it,” said Crisafi. “The students did a great job and I can’t believe we shot the entire video in a single lunch period.”

However, it wasn’t just the Middle School that had the opportunity to experience the student council’s efforts. During the evening of October 19, WPTV News Channel 5 broadcast  a brief segment featuring the video. During the broadcast, WPTV News Channel 5 anchor/reporter Kelley Dunn noted that Benjamin’s goal is “[to create] a culture of kindness in school and in the community.” The video is now part of the channel’s “Stop Bullying” online campaign which provides links to news segments, articles, and resources which aim to educate parents, teachers, and students about bullying prevention.

The video, along with many other presentations and lectures given at Benjamin, spreads a message in a way that can really relate to children, possibly giving them sympathy for others. Benjamin wants the School to be a place for students to learn without having to worry about bullying. “[The students] can’t do good when they’re experiencing bullying. A kind, supportive environment is most conducive to learning at this [middle school] age,” said Mr. Charles Hagy, Benjamin’s head of the middle school.