Middle School Gets Into the Spirit

Seventh graders Crystal Pauldo and Jordan Wheaton show off their orange school spirit shirts during break on Wednesday, October 7.

“We got spirit, yes we do.  We got spirit, how ‘bout you?!”  After a long and refreshing summer, the “homecoming” of our students and alumni is finally upon us.  In addition to the traditional varsity football game and upper school dance, the high school is dressing up to different themes every this week leading up to the big game.

The high school will be expressing their spirit by dressing up to a different theme each day. Tuesday’s theme was blue and orange, Wednesday’s theme is music genres, Thursday’s is Harry Potter Houses, and Friday is individual class themes: Freshmen of Bel Air, That’s So 70s Sophomores, Jingle Bell Juniors, and Star Spangled Seniors.

This year, for the first time in a long time, the Middle School is joining the high school in celebrating spirit week.  The Middle School will be supporting our football team by wearing orange on Wednesday of this week, blue on Thursday, and then blue and orange on Friday. Some students wish that the spirit days could be more like the high school’s.  “I want to be like a cowboy or a 70s person!” exclaimed eighth-grade student Nicky Amato when he was apprised of the high school’s plan.

Other students are just excited that they get to wear spirit clothes rather than the customary uniform polos. “Being able to wear blue and orange spirit day shirts is a great opportunity for students to show off their Buccaneer pride,”  said eighth grader Nicolas Lama.  

Spirit Week and Homecoming will culminate in the varsity football game against Westminster Academy Friday night. Families and students from every division will be attending the game in support of the Bucs, and those attending were able to order a barbecue dinner for the night of the game.

The Saturday after the homecoming football game there will be a formal dance for the high school students that will take place in the upper school gym.