Booting Up

Skyler Zur

Mr. Crisafi gives students instruction on how to customize their NetClassroom pages after school on August 25, 2015.

This year, the Benjamin Middle School decided to hold technology and grammar “boot camps” for all new students who wanted extra help integrating into the academic and technological culture of TBS. The sessions also welcomed returning students who felt they needed a refresher course.

Although the initiative was new this year, the administration thinks it’s one worth keeping.

“I think we would do this again next year,” said Head of Middle School Mr. Charles Hagy. “It will become part of our normal paradigm. And we have gotten lots of positive feedback, especially from parents, but also from students.”

“I loved the grammar boot camp; I thought it was very helpful,” said new seventh grader Briley Crisafi. “A bunch of new students were there that had not been subjected to this kind of grammar before and I think they learned a lot.”

The grammar boot camp, held at the end of they day on Monday and Wednesday during the first full week of school, focused mostly on diagramming sentences and parts of speech. It was taught by English teacher Dr. Tina James (for the seventh graders) and English Department Chair Mrs. Kathleen Devine (for the eighth graders).

“The boot camp went really well,” said Dr. James, who is also the Middle School’s academic dean. “The students didn’t look

Left to right: Eighth graders Blake Prolow, Ashley Cousin, and Billy Moscatello try their hands at diagramming sentences in the grammar boot camp led by Mrs. Devine.
Skyler Zur

very excited at the beginning, but they were coming after school to do seventy-five minutes of grammar. They were really good sports, and I think after a while we kind of had a little bit of fun with it. I think it was overall successful.”

Mrs. Devine also had a positive experience with the eighth graders.

“The students actually seemed very interested to learn new things and were eager to go up to the board,” said Devine. “They were very enthusiastic on learning grammar and the energy in the class was high. I would definitely do this again next year and it is great review for both returning students and new students.”

The technology boot camp was held at the end of the day on the alternating Tuesday and Thursday during the first full week of school and was taught by Mr. Nicholas Crisafi, the Middle School’s technology integration coordinator. He showed students how to access NetClassroom, Benjamin’s grade-reporting software, and set up their Google Drive folders and Google calendars.

Crisafi admitted that the technology students have at their disposal can be a bit daunting if they are new to the School.

”When you are a new student it is hard because you are having all of this technology thrown at you. It could be very overwhelming to keep track of all that stuff, so I am very happy that we held the boot camps.”

Now the students have been given their technology and grammar training, all they have to worry about is their math, science, history classes, etc. However, no matter what the challenge, Benjamin students will have the full support of their teachers and administration who will always be there to help them along the way.