MS 101 Familiarizes New Parents with Middle School

This is a portion of the flyer that was sent to parents advertising the MS 101 program.

Parents always want to know as much as possible about their child’s education, and The Benjamin School has a very smart way of getting all new parents the information they need. After talking to parents and Integration Technology Coordinator Mr. Nicholas Crisafi last spring, Head of Middle School Mr. Charles Hagy decided to hold an informational program for new parents to kick off the 2015-16 school year.

“The parents wanted to know more about our programs,” said Mr. Hagy, “particularly our arts program, our athletics program, and our academic programs.”

The program, called “Middle School 101,” was held the morning of Aug. 19 and was divided into four separate sessions, with groups of parents rotating to each one. The sessions were The Middle School Program, NetClassroom and Online Resources, Middle School Handbook and Information, and Student Life and Student Support.

The middle school teachers were also in attendance at the various sessions and helped clarify information or answer parent questions. The students, of course, were separated by grade and attended workshops led by representatives of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). This was the third consecutive year the Middle School invited the ADL to help TBS students build empathy for, understanding of, and kindness toward one another to begin the year.

Meanwhile, new parents, about 75 in all, were introduced to the School’s rules, culture, and technology to help them feel comfortable in their transition.

“The NetClassroom system [is] important,” said Beth Stewart, a new parent, because not only can I see what’s going on at Benjamin, I can also see my child’s homework and class schedules.”

According to Crisafi, allowing the parents to get familiar with TBS, the Middle School’s expectations, and the technology it uses is invaluable.

“A successful school”, said Crisafi, “is built on the relationship between the parents and the faculty.”

If that definition is used, Benjamin has indeed begun the year in very successful fashion.