Variety Show Takes Eissey Theater Curtain Call

The middle school dance team poses at the end of its “All Girls Band Mix” number.

The Variety Show is one of The Benjamin School’s largest ongoing traditions. This year was the 19th annual show, and the performance was a very special one because it was a farewell show. No, the Variety Show is not ending, but this year’s show was the last at the Eissey Theatre. Next year, the Variety Show will be at the new Benjamin Hall, which is in the final stages of construction at the Upper School. This new entertainment complex opens on March 28 of this year. Everyone is looking forward to this, especially Sara Salivar, the Upper School’s performing arts chair and the artistic director and co-costume designer of the Variety Show. “There are so many advantages to having the show in our own theatre,” she said. “We don’t have to transport all of our equipment over to the rented facility, and we can rehearse on our very own stage.  It will be an exciting opportunity for us next year.”

The theme for this year’s show was “Legacy, From Tradition to Innovation, A Musical Review.” This theme was also part of the farewell. “Since it was our last year at the Eissey Theatre, I wanted to pay tribute to what The Benjamin School has always stood for: a traditional, solid, college-preparatory education that encourages innovativation and creativity,” commented Salivar. “I also wanted to honor and thank Palm Beach State College and the Eissey Campus Theatre for 19 wonderful years in partnership with our School.”  Many of the performances were tributes to icons such as Frank Sinatra, Carole King, James Bond, Walt Disney, boy bands, and girl bands.

Susan Poncy, the Middles School’s director of student services, was in attendance at the show. “I loved every minute of it,” she said.  “From the audience response, I think everyone did.  What is also amazing is that the performers, in addition to these professional and polished performances, are also doing many many other things [outside of the fine arts] and doing them well,” she said in an email. This has not been the first variety show Mrs. Poncy has been to. In fact, her children and her husband were in the show for a number of years. Some of her favorite parts of this year’s show were a duet sang by Kristopher Armstrong ’18 and his brother, Jessica Armstrong ’14, who graduated Benjamin last year, and the Daddy/Daughter dance which was a beach-themed tribute to The Beach Boys.

The Middle School also previewed the "Candyman" song from "Willy Wonka," the musical it will perform later this month.
The Middle School also previewed the “Candyman” song from “Willy Wonka,” the musical it will perform later this month.

Another Variety Show tradition is middle school dance teacher and choreographer Rachel Rudner, who graduated Benjamin in 2004 and has been involved with the Variety Show since seventh grade. This year, she choreographed seven dances and danced in the “Bond-ing Moms” dance and the middle school “Latch” number. However, her favorite part of the show is not dancing. “My favorite part is backstage,” she admitted. “It is crazy and [full of] mayhem, but it is fun.”

Although the performances at the Variety Show were spectacular, the best part is often the realization of the students’ potential once they get on stage. Poncy’s favorite aspect of the show is “the way all the constituents of the school community – students from all three divisions, faculty members, parents and alumni – came together and created such a stellar production.” Salivar said her favorite aspect “is the process of watching something grow from a little idea to a big production. As a performing arts teacher, my biggest goal is to give creative performance opportunities to our students. Watching them blossom on the stage is the icing on the cake.”

Being a performer may be just as great as being in the audience of the show. Eighth grader Brieanna Pauldo has been in this year’s and last year’s shows as a dancer. This year, she was in the dances “All Girl Band Mix,” “All Boy Band Mix,” and “Latch.” “It was awesome [to perform this year],” exclaimed Pauldo. “I enjoy it because I love being on stage. I love being able to create art in front of everyone, and dancing is one of my favorite art forms,” she said.

It was a great run at Eissey Theater for 19 years, but next year’s show will begin a new era at Benjamin Hall. It may just be the best show yet. Said Poncy, “I don’t know how, but the Variety Show just seems to get better and better every year.”