The official student news site of The Benjamin Middle School in North Palm Beach, FL

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

The Neersyde

History of Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has been celebrated for centuries, but most people don’t know how it started.

Thanksgiving was first celebrated in October of 1621 by the Pilgrims. This feast lasted three days and was celebrated by ninety Native American Wampangon and fifty-three survivors of the Mayflower (Pilgrims). George Washington was the first to establish Thanksgiving as an American holiday on November 26, 1789. 

Many people celebrate Thanksgiving with family by cooking a turkey and baking some pies. Many people stay at home and others go to grandparents or other relatives and travel to places even as far as Europe. In a survey sent to all TBS middle schools, students 51% of people stayed home, 19% visited relatives at their houses, and 30% traveled. Micheal Raso, 8th said, “ I celebrate with friends and family at home.” Many other people’s travel hotspots for this year have been the Carolinas including 6th grader Catherine Bell said “I traveled to Beaufort, South Carolina”

Many people enjoy a turkey for Thanksgiving, but some people choose to have ham or roast beef. For most,  a dessert of choice is a range from pumpkin pie to apple pie. Sydney Becah [7th] “I have Turkey, Stuffing, Cranberry Sauce, and much more.”  Peyton Jones [6th]  says “ I have Turkey, Fruit, Shrimp, and Cheese.” Lia Interland [8th] said she has Baked Ziti for Thanksgiving dinner. 

Most people have family traditions on or around Thanksgiving. Some have a traditional Turkey dinner some partake in outdoor activities and some just gather around the dinner table to have a feast with some family and friends. Some people have unique traditions including Ryder Bessete who goes fishing with his grandpa on the dock. Braylon Peterson chooses to watch a Thanksgiving football game as they eat their Thanksgiving feast.