Assembly Binds Students To the Honor Code

Charlie Cleveland

When it pertains to the honor code, Coach Ream knows it all!

The Benjamin School values that its students demonstrate the twelve core values. These are respect, courage, morality, kindness, fairness, integrity, compassion, acceptance, forgiveness, gratitude, perseverance, and responsibility. The school also emphasizes the need to follow the honor code. Henceforth, an honor code assembly is held each year.

Like many other endeavors, the honor code assembly was canceled in the last few years due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For the current 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade classes, the assembly is a new experience. The most impacted by this assembly were the sixth graders since the honor code is completely new to them. “I never forget to write it down,” says sixth grader, Lucas Yates. “It’s always important to me because I need my teachers to know that I would never copy off someone else or have someone help me”.

The Head of the Benjamin School, Dr. David Faus, speaks words of wisdom to the middle school. (Charlie Cleveland)

There are two parts to the honor code: the pledge and the verification. These two passages are on display in almost every classroom on campus. In addition to visual reminders, students must write the verification code in their paper’s MLA heading. Teachers may deduct points if this protocol is not followed.

Pledge: I will maintain my self-respect. I will not lie, cheat or steal, nor tolerate anyone who does.

Verification: I have neither given nor received unauthorized aid on this work.

The honor code assembly aims to make students aware of the code’s importance and explain how its meaning has developed over the years. The assembly began with a few prefacing words from Mr. Charles Hagy, Head of the Middle School. He then segued into a speech by Dr. David Faus, the school’s head. Mr. Faus explained the importance of maintaining one’s sound principles in addition to navigating adolescence. 

The honor code assembly is a serious endeavor for middle school students. (Charlie Cleveland)

Mr. Hagy had hinted in that morning’s Tuesday assembly that there would be a special guest appearance at the honor code assembly: Coach Ronald Ream. One of the longest veterans of the Benjamin School, Ream had been one of the faculty members who came up with the honor code. Coach Ream mentioned in his presentation that the school had taken a large amount of inspiration from Westpoint Academy’s honor code. The faculty made a few adjustments, but the Benjamin School trademarked it as their own. As well as explaining how the honor code came to be, Coach Ream had an array of memorabilia photos to show the students. Arguably the most important images were the ones that broke down the honor code pledge word for word. Mr. Hagy says,“It’s good that we did that [honor code assembly] because it puts a focus back on a guiding light in our lives. I think that’s a good metaphor for honor too. A light that guides us like the North Star; that’s our honor code. We work to bring our values to life, and that’s a great formula.”

The final portion of the assembly was arguably the most crucial: the book signing. Each grade level has a book. The signing has bound all students to the honor code for the past fifteen years. By making this commitment, students vow to maintain all of the principles valued by the Benjamin School.