Students Excited for New Video Game Consoles to Drop

Photo courtesy of www.tomsguide.com.

The Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will hit the market on the same week in November.

Gamers most likely have some big-ticket items on their wish lists this holiday season. Two new video game consoles are hitting stores in early November: the new Xbox Series X and Playstation 5.  The latter is priced at $499 ($399 for the all-digital version) and both will be released on November 12. The Xbox Series X is priced at $499 and will be released on November 10. 

According to laptopmag.com, the Playstation 5 has a CPU of eight cores at 3.5 GHz, and a GPU of 10.3 TFLOPS (a Teraflop equals 1 trillion operations per second). This is a significant boost from the current PS4’s 4.2 Teraflops. The PS5 also has 36 CPUs and 2.33 GHz, along with a memory of 16 GB (double the PS4) and an internal storage of 825 GB with Custom NVME (Non-Volatile Memory Express) and an SSD (solid-state drive). In addition, the PS5 has an optical drive that supports a 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive. 

The Xbox Series X, according to laptopmag.com, has a CPU 3.8 GHz which is 1.5 GHz more than the current Xbox One X, and a GPU of 12 TFLOPS, which is double the current generation console. The new Xbox also has a 7mm Enhanced processor, and a memory of 16 GB with an internal storage of 1 TB Custom NVME SSD, which is the same as the last generation. The Xbox Series X has an optical drive that supports a 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive, the same as the previous generation Xbox. Both the Xbox Series X and PS5 consoles have a performance target of 4K at normally 60 frames per second, but can reach up to 120 FPS and 8K. In terms of these specs, the Xbox Series X is in the lead for performance, but let’s not overlook the controllers, which is where the PS5 has the advantage. 

The new PS5 controller has a new look in comparison to previous versions. (Photo courtesy of www.gamesradar.com.)

The PS5 controller will look similar to an Xbox controller in shape and size, but will maintain the same buttons and joystick of a typical Playstation controller. The color scheme is a white/blue color resembling the console itself. The best feature of the PS5 controller, though, will be a built-in microphone so that players without a mic will still be able to talk to one another without having to buy a gaming headset.

The Xbox Series X controller will not have a built-in mic, and will look a lot like the controller from the Xbox One with the same size, shape, color scheme, button, and joystick placement.

For some students, the more powerful consoles are enough of a reason to upgrade.  

“The PS5 has a good new look and a smooth presentation,” said seventh grader Brady Davis. I would upgrade to a PS5 because the console looks better, and I like the new features of the controller, like [the] built-in mic.” said Davis. 

Some students, however, seem tempted to switch consoles. “I like Xbox because of the controller layout and the games that it has, like Halo, ” said seventh grader Matti Simonet, “[but] I would switch to PlayStation because the PlayStation has more games that I like – Spider-man and God of War – and it runs them better than the Xbox does.” 

I like the PS4 because of how much more simple it is to use compared to the Xbox, and because of the community, but I would probably switch to Xbox if I could because all the friends I have play on Xbox,” said seventh grader Evan Sluiters.

Some students need to do a little bit more research. “When I used to play a lot, I loved the Xbox, but I have not seen the new updates on the PS5,” said eighth grader Alex Ponchock.

It all comes down to one’s personal preference. As for me, Dev, I prefer the PS5 because I have always gamed on the PlayStation, and I prefer the controllers and games like Spider-man. I, Matteo, also prefer the PS5 because I own and am used to the PS4, and I prefer the PlayStation’s graphical user interface (GUI), but I do think the Xbox controllers are better. 

Regardless of preference, gamers will have a couple of great new choices this holiday season in both the PS5 and the Xbox Series X.