The official student news site of The Benjamin Middle School in North Palm Beach, FL

The Neersyde

• December 17Good Luck on Midterms This Week!

• December 17Have a Safe and Happy Holiday Break!

• December 17Midterm Room Assignments Posted Around Campus

Filed under Showcase

Announcements – Monday, December 18, 2017

• Congratulations to our Leaders of the Week chosen by Ms. Latimer: Charlie Noble and Sarah Darby

I have always been an admirer of the observers.  The observers are those people in our lives who spend more time watching and studying the world and the people around them than they do acting on it or talking about it.  Observing and thinking are very useful skills.  They give us time to consider the feelings of others, which makes observers thoughtful, fair, and compassionate.  The two students I have chosen to be the students of the week are observers.

In my classroom, I have an antique clock from the Cultural Revolution era in China.  It stands on its own little platform, and on the platform is a structure you can adjust to show the date and the day of the week in Chinese.  You have to use your fingers to move the wheels and tiles that say the date, and since the clock is broken, I never do that.

A few weeks after school started I noticed that the clock said the right date.  I watched for a while and saw the person who was keeping it up to date.  I feel some joy knowing this student noticed and is caring for the clock.

I really enjoy teaching this student.  He’s an excellent Chinese scholar, a good friend, a strong competitor in the flyswatter game and an observer.  He is thoughtful toward others because he notices what they need.  In this, sixth grader Charlie Noble sets an example for all of his peers.

The second observer I have chosen gets double my admiration because she is very comfortable marching to her own drum and not running with the herd, which can be hard when you’re young.  I often see her alone, but not lonely.  I admire this kind of confidence.  It shows a self-knowledge and assertiveness I did not have at her age.  I frequently catch this student being kind to others.  She notices needs and feels compelled to help others.  She is a friend to all and that’s important in any society.

My seventh-grade observer is Sarah Darby.

• Early Dismissal Forms must be in the office if you are leaving early this week.

• There are no lunches available this week due to exams and early dismissals.  If you are staying for study hall, you should have your lunch with you.

• The classroom spelling bee will be held Tuesday, January 9th in your English classes. The two winners from each English section will then go on to compete the next week in the Middle School bee with the winner moving on to the statewide competition.