The official student news site of The Benjamin Middle School in North Palm Beach, FL

The Neersyde

• August 20Half-Day Monday Due to Solar Eclipse

• August 20Regular MS Schedule Begins Tuesday

• August 20Be Sure to Turn in Your AUP Forms

Filed under A&E, News

Middle School Talents on Display at Spring Music Festival

The concert also marks the last one at TBS for Dr. Alexander Nagy, upper school music program director.

Mr.  Winters conducts the Middle School Chorus while Ms. Gay Dedo  accomapanies on the piano.

Mr. Winters conducts the Middle School Chorus while Ms. Gay Dedo accomapanies on the piano.

Alexandra Denholtz

Alexandra Denholtz

Bees buzz on a sunny, spring day by a tree as a girl sits and daydreams beneath it. Now, one might expect actors in drama or musical theater to have created this scene, but instead the imagery was conjured via choral voices and musical instruments which were part of the annual Spring Music Festival, more of a feast for the ears than the eyes.

The concert took place on the evening of April 8 in Benjamin Hall. Performing that night were The Upper and Middle School Performance Ensemble and Honor Bands, the Upper and Middle School Choruses, The Upper School Chamber Ensemble, and the Middle and Lower School Strings.

Under the direction of Middle School Band Director Mr. Bruce Huber, The Honor Band (consisting of fifth and sixth-grade musicians) performed with the Middle and Upper School Bands, playing

The Middle School Performance Ensemble Band plays on stage under the direction of Mr. Huber.

Alexandra Denholtz

fan favorites such as “All About that Bass” by Meghan Trainor and “Happy” by Pharrel Williams. The Middle School Choir, directed by Mr. Andrew Winters, mixed contemporary hits, such as “Let the River Run” by Carly Simon, with Broadway staples, like “Seasons of Love” (from Rent) by Jonathan Larson and “For Good” and “Defying Gravity” (both from Wicked) by Stephen Schwartz.

The students truly enjoyed the experience of performing on stage. “It was a great experience for all because I believe all the performers really put out their best on stage, and I think the audience members could see that,” said eighth-grade saxophonist and Middle School Performance Ensemble Band member Nicolas Lama. “The best part of the spring concert was going out on stage and playing the best we could. We got to show everyone what we’ve been practicing on all year,” said Lama, a four-year veteran of the festival.

The concert was also special for faculty, who enjoyed seeing all of the divisions perform together. “It is such an uplifting experience to see the students and teachers performing such beautiful pieces,” said Upper School Performing Arts Chair Mrs. Sara Salivar. “I enjoyed the entire evening and loved the ending of the show when the middle and upper school bands performed together.”

Dr. Nagy gestures to the Upper School Band while addressing the audience during the festival.

Alexandra Denholtz

The show, however, was bittersweet as it was the last TBS concert of Dr. Alexander Nagy, director of the upper school music program. He directed the Upper School Band, Upper School Chorus, and Upper School Chamber Ensemble during the festival. After seven years at Benjamin, Dr. Nagy is leaving to teach in the doctorate program at the prestigious Franz Liszt Music Academy in Budapest, Hungary. In addition, he will also spend time composing several pieces for which he has been commissioned.

“We owe so much to Dr. Nagy for inspiring his students and for raising the level of musicianship in the Upper School,” commented Salivar. “During his seven years at TBS, we have seen tremendous growth in the music program. We are very grateful for his expertise and artistry.”