STEM Students Dive Deeper into Technology

Students Bella and Anabelle take apart their laptop.

The 8th Grade accelerated science class, or STEM for short, has begun a new chapter of their learning journey. Mr. Oster, the STEM coordinator, has begun teaching the students about reverse engineering. Simply put, reverse engineering is taking something apart and putting it back together again, but it’s more difficult than you think. 

A more in-depth explanation for reve

Mr. Oster helps students Ishe and Carter with their project.

rse engineering is that reverse engineering is the act of dismantling an object for the purpose of analyzing and gaining knowledge about how and why an object works. Reverse engineering is often done to duplicate or enhance an object. 

It is a valuable skill and some people decide to pursue degrees in reverse Electrical Engineering, or REE. These people with degrees in REE then proceed to find employment at software and technology companies around the world. 

Here at TBS, the STEM students will be given desktop computers and laptops in a small group, with the task of taking the device apart, learning about how it works, and putting it back together again in working order. REE is particularly useful through a historical lens, when you’re trying to learn how something like an ancient civilization built something and the technology they had and used.

Carter Burden, an 8th grader, takes apart his laptop.

Some students believe that this skill will serve them well in the future such as James Tepper in 8th grade. “I enjoy learning about reverse engineering because it is fun to take old computers apart and learn how they work. It teaches you about how technology improves over time and why” said Tepper. 

Mr. Oster believes that the skill will serve students well in the future, “It is important because it is part of your life skills and since we are moving into an age of more and more advanced technology, I believe it will serve you well” said Oster. 

This belief is shared by Iris Hoffman, an 8th grader, who believes that the skill will serve her well in the future, “Yes, I think that since we are moving into an age of technology, [and] it will serve me well in the future,” said Hoffman. 

As humanity moves forward into an age where technology dominates our lives, it is important to know how to navigate that technology. TBS is doing all they can to prepare their students for our technological future.