Mrs. Ponchock Nabs Teacher of the Year Honors

Mrs. Denise Ponchock is flanked by Head of School Mr. Robert Goldberg (left) and Head of Middle School Mr. Charles Hagy (right) during the Education Awards Breakfast on May 11, 2016.

A good teacher is one who enjoys what he or she teaches. A great teacher is one who not only loves the subject material, but also has a love for teaching it and creates meaningful connections with his or her students. Throughout the entire Benjamin School, great teachers can be found left and right. There are so many suitable candidates for the title of “Teacher of the Year,” but there can only be one. This year’s winner was sixth-grade English teacher Mrs. Denise Ponchock.

Ponchock was honored by the Northern Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce at the organization’s annual Education Awards Breakfast on May 11 at the Palm Beach Gardens Marriott.
The Chamber presented Ponchock, along with top educators from 34 public and private schools in the north county area, with its 2016 Teacher of the Year award. The Chamber noted the following about The Benjamin School’s Teacher of the Year in the award’s presentation:

“Denise is an innovative and excellent teacher who performs her teaching duties with professionalism, character and attention to detail. Her influence extends beyond the classroom to coaching, clubs and supervisory duties during and after the school day. Denise is known for her high standards and tireless efforts to help her students meet these expectations.”

In his nomination, Head of Middle School Charles Hagy further remarked that Ponchock’s “dedication to students, command of the classroom, and drive to be excellent is part of what makes Denise a great educator and an invaluable asset to our community.”

“I am very honored to be recognized,” confessed Ponchock. “I was completely surprised to be chosen.” It certainly takes a great amount of work, effort, and patience to be singled out of all the intelligent and hard working teachers here at The Benjamin School. Part of what makes Ponchock such an exceptional teacher is that she has the ability to put herself in her students’ shoes. “I [understand] what it is like to struggle in a class,” revealed Ponchock, but she also knows “the elation that comes from working hard to earn a good grade.”

Ponchock’s path to the classroom began when she was a young girl. “I have always wanted to be a teacher, and when I was little, I was constantly playing school,” Ponchock recalled. “I didn’t want to be the checklist and red ink sort of teacher. I wanted to discuss literature, language and, ideally, I wanted to help foster the dawning of ideas.”

Ponchock also feels that teaching is more than simply giving the students new information, but helping them understand it. “There is something so gratifying about seeing the pieces come together for a student,” she said.

Ponchock’s colleagues were not surprised when the announcement was made that she had been chosen during morning assembly on April 25. “[Mrs. Ponchock] ardently wants her students to succeed,” said English Department Chair Mrs. Kathleen Devine. “She nurtures them, loves them, and they become true grammarians by the end of sixth grade. But more than that, she just loves English, loves literature, and loves teaching it. Her enthusiasm transfers to her students,” said Devine.

Not only do her fellow teachers feel Ponchock is deserving, but her students do as well. Sixth-grade student Logan Sorensen said Ponchock is an outstanding teacher because “she has [you] work together and she [encourages] you to come in [so she can] help you.” Fellow sixth grader Sophia Liporace agreed. “She always chooses really fun books!” she exclaimed. This year, the sixth graders have read part of The Tempest, Tom Sawyer, and The Magician’s Nephew. “I love to teach Shakespeare,” admitted Ponchock, “and I have taught at least part of a play every year.”

Liporace also explained that after reading the books,“[Mrs. Ponchock] has us make posters.” According to Ponchock, the posters “help reinforce important aspects of the literature.” Part of what distinguishes Ponchock from other teachers is her empathy for her students. “She wants you to pass and do well,” said sixth grader, Catherine Schenk. “She’s a great teacher and she really deserves the award!”

TBS Director of Communications and Publications Dr. Kathy Aiello contributed to this article.