Orange Team Takes Field Day Trophy

Eighth-grader Garison Gelman kisses the Field Day trophy alongside Orange co-captains John Scott and Tati Ziff.

You can’t artificially create school spirit. It’s not something you manufacture, or force. And when you have a school so united as one, how do you divide the student body into opposing teams? All it takes is two words; Field Day.

It’s a day every student at The Benjamin School anticipates. In the days leading up, signs are painted, face paint is purchased, colored bead necklaces are gathered, and bleachers are decorated. Whether you’re on orange or blue, you get in on the action, supporting your team and promising to go head to head with the other.

And the day finally arrives, the one everyone has been waiting for: Friday March 18. Students come to school dressed head-to-toe in garb of their team’s color. From orange and blue beaded necklaces to tutu’s, students really go all out! But the fun doesn’t stop at the students’ apparel, not by far.

To start Field Day, students flooded the quad and surrounded the stage set up for BBC. Several students performed, displaying a varying range of acts, from multiple solos, duets, dances, raps, and pie throwing!

At 11:00 a.m., the games began! Events included running races, kickball and soccer games, and relays. To tie it all up, students literally tugged for the win in grade-based tug-o-wars! The sixth grade tug went to the orange team, the seventh grade to the blue team, and the eighth grade to the orange team.

Finally, the time came – the presentation of the trophy. The stands rumbled with anticipation. With a final thrust in the air of the trophy, Coach Harbeck exclaimed the winners: The Orange team! Without hesitation, Orange stampeded down the stands and tore across the field in their victory lap. Blue still cheered all the same, as the theme of the day was fun, friendship, and school spirit. The Benjamin School once again was united as one. Congratulations to students and faculty for such a great day- it was the perfect way to begin Spring Break!